This can be useful when you have two different pools and you need to move the VM-s from source pool to detination pool.
For example your source production pool has an old XenServer version installed and you do not want to do a rolling pool upgrade.
Instead, you can forget and detach the shared SR from source pool and attach it on the new pool while preserving VM metadata.
To create and move a portable SR using the xsconsole and XenCenter
1. On the source host or pool, in xsconsole,
the Backup Virtual Machine Metadata option, and then select the desired SR.
2. In XenCenter,
3. In the tree view select the SR to be moved and select Storage > Detach Storage Repository
Detach Storage Repository
the selected SR. After being detached the SR will be displayed in a grayed-out
Do not complete this step unless you have created a backup VDI in step 1.
4. Select Storage > Forget Storage Repository
5. Select the destinatio
6. Create a new SR with the appropriat
host. In the case of moving a SR between pools or hosts within a site the parameters
identical to the source pool.
7. Every time a new SR is created the storage is checked to see if it contains an existing SR. If so, an option
is presented allowing re-attachm
specified during SR creation are not correct.
8. Select Reattach.
9. Select the new SR in the tree view and then select the Storage tab to view the existing VDIs present
on the SR.
10. In xsconsole on the destinatio
Restore Virtual Machine Metadata option, and select the newly re-attache
11. The VDIs on the selected SR are inspected to find the metadata VDI. Once found, select the metadata
backup you want to use.
12. Select the Only VMs on this SR option to restore the VMs.
Use the All VM Metadata option when moving multiple SRs between hosts or pools, or when using tiered
storage where VMs to be restored have VDIs on multiple SRs. When using this option ensure all required
SRs have been reattached
13. The VMs are restored in the destinatio